The following is a list of languages regularly offered through the Department of African, Middle Eastern, and South Asian Languages and Literatures.
SPECIAL PERMISSION NUMBERS: Enrollment in all language courses in African, Middle Eastern, and South Asian Languages and Literatures is capped at 25. Only in extraordinary circumstances will a student be issued a Special Permission Number (SPN).
ARABIC AND HINDI PLACEMENT EXAMS: Arabic and Hindi placement exams are now offered on line through Sakai. Please review the table below to check if you are eligible to take the exam.
|Eligible to Take the Placement Test (Please Continue)||Not Eligible to Take the Placement Test (Please Stop)
|a. You are not a heritage speaker AND you have experience studying the language.||a. You have no exposure or knowledge of the language (speaking, writing, or reading)|
|b. You are a heritage speaker AND you have not taken any courses nor transferred credits.||b. You took courses in this language at the college level and you have transferred credits to Rutgers.|
|c. You are a native speaker.|
Directions to the exam on the Sakai site are as follows:
Please make sure that you have installed the Arabic language
keyboard prior to testing.
Steps to Join the Arabic/Hindi Placement Test Webpage
1. Log into Sakai using your Rutgers NetID.
2. In the left panel, click “Membership” (NOT “course membership”).
3. On top, click “Joinable Sites.” A list of joinable sites will open.
4. In the search box on the top right, type in either
Arabic Placement Exam or Hindi Placement Exam and click “Search.”
5. Click “Join” under Arabic Placement Exam or Hindi Placement Exam
A confirmation appears: “You are now a participant.
6. Click “Home.” The Arabic Placement Exam or Hindi Placement Exam
Sakai site will appear among the course sites on top
of the page. (Click “Sites” on top if it is not visible.)
7. Click on either Arabic Placement Exam or Hindi Placement Exam
on the top of the Sakai web page.
8. In the left panel, click “Tests & Quizzes.”
9. Click on the blue link for either the Arabic Placement Exam or the Hindi Placement Exam.
10. Complete the appropriate test following the instructions.
11. At the end, click “Submit for Grading.” Your scores will be sent to the department.
Arabic Keyboard Installation Instructions: Download